Monday, September 19, 2011

Mushy Monday

So my Mushy Monday moment just happened. It wasn't really a big a moment just a casual conversation between neighbors. Our neighbors across the street go to their lake house occasionally and I keep an eye on their mail for them. They are a very sweet, kind hearted, older couple. Well he stopped by to see if he had any mail to pick up and we were talking about some random things. And we got on the subject of how I met a boy from St. Louis and married him. I explained how we met in college and he said he had remembered that and then he said, "You're a well educated woman to just be a babysitter." And in the back of my mind I thought it was a little rude but knowing this man and how he would never intentionally offend me, I thought for a split second and I smiled big back at him and said, "There's no other job I'd rather have in the world than watching that little boy." And he smiled back and said, "I know that."

Truth is I've always dreamed of being a "babysitter" to my very own children.  And it is so much more than babysitting. I'm still smiling when I think about what he said, and b/c I know Kyle will get a good laugh when I tell him the story.

I am so blessed to be able to stay at home with Tommy. I explained to my neighbor too that I would be so jealous if there was some one else getting to spend all this time with him instead of me.  (Now on teething days I might think differently ;)

Kyle and I both see it as a blessing. This is a huge sacrifice for Kyle b/c he's working and going to school at the same time. I remember when Kyle thought about cutting back on work so he could focus more on school, I was getting so frustrated with the conversation but didn't know how to word my feelings. And finally I just started crying and told him I felt like if he cut back on work that I would feel pressured to work and I didn't want to do that. And my sweet and encouraging husband explained that I could completely push that thought out of my head, his intentions would remain for me to stay at home with Tommy and that wouldn't change. And if financially we couldn't make it work he would just work more. Just one more reason I love that man and I can see how the Lord has made us fit together so very well.

I also see staying home with Tommy as much more than babysitting, obviously.  And here's the thing, people get paid to babysit so it is a job. And if I were to ever leave my son with a babysitter or nanny, you better believe they'd have to be the best of the best which means they would want to be paid bank b/c they'd actually care for and watch my son. And thankfully since we don't have bank to pay someone we have willing family, friends, church family to help us out when we need a break (and they are the best of the best babysitters)!

My best friend just had her first child this week, a precious little boy. And she was actually a nanny before. I can guarantee you after a few days of being a mom she would tell you how priceless and incomparable to being a nanny it already is.

Obviously I'm reading more into this comment then what he actually meant. And it's also a generational difference.  He probably didn't have the opportunity to go to college and really couldn't fathom if having had that opportunity, not putting it to use.

I hope Tommy and I have many, many more years of "babysitting" to spend together and to cherish and to know each other more and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment