Thursday, January 17, 2013

The grass is green on both sides!

I have been thinking about how Tommy has an extra chromosome. Usually when you have extra of something it's a good thing. Extra brownies = always a good thing. Extra money is pretty nice. Extra time is always a plus. But this extra chromosome Tom has creates challenges for him & makes typical things harder for him. Doesn't that seem weird? Something we can't see inside of his body that he was born with makes it harder for him to speak, to have natural coordination, etc.

Anyway it has been such a blessing to have Tommy with DS and Silas without it. The Lord is showing me that the grass is beautifully green on both sides! I am thankful for Silas' insane muscle tone, that he is belly crawling, able to hold a cup, babble three distinct noises (mama,dada,nana). But at the same time I feel kind of bad for Silas because to be honest his accomplishments aren't quite as exciting. And it's not b/c he is the second child, it's because with Tommy we had to work sooooooo hard to help him figure these things out & some he still can't do (the babbling). I am proud of Silas! He is so strong, handsome, and smart - just like his big brother! I am continually amazed at how Silas figures out how to get to the toys he wants & then play with that toy for such a long time! I have found myself saying to Kyle - man it just doesn't seem fair, parents that don't have kids with special needs will never know what a miracle it is that their kids can figure these things out so quickly & virtually on their own. So I am blessed to see both sides - to see how through time & effort we can teach Tommy to do all of these things & to learn patience & how amazing our chromosomes are to function in our body & tell us how to do everyday things - like using our hands together (that's a big challenge for Tommy right now.) And then with Silas I get to see how his chromosomes make him genetically inclined to figure these things out. It's amazing! And don't get me wrong I get excited when Silas does new stuff but it is different, and different is not bad.

I have also been learning why it is that so many moms of kids with DS seemed so "sensitive" before. It's b/c a lot of people who don't have the opportunity to know or get to know Tommy will only see him as having DS. I don't know if this will make sense to everyone else or not. But if you know Tommy he has such a sweet, funny, and individual personality! Basically you don't know Tommy unless you spend time with him. So just b/c you know things about DS does not mean you know Tom. Does that make sense? I think that's the way it comes across a lot, that b/c people have a family member, friend, or just "love" people with DS does not mean they know Tommy. That would be like saying oh I know a boy, so I know Silas. No you don't.  Because Silas is a specific boy & Tommy is a specific boy. Now granted there are common "boyish" traits - being rough, tough, mischievous. And there are common DS traits too but there's a lot more to it than that. Anyhow I'm thankful for this better understanding & ability to relate to other moms who have kids with special needs. And the majority of the time Tommy doesn't seem like he has special needs to me.

God is amazing how He designs our body to function! Don't forget to thank The Lord for the many things you do each day without even thinking about it, and the many things your sweet children do too - special needs or no special needs. It is truly amazing! The grass is beautiful! (Too corny? I don't care!)

No comments:

Post a Comment